Thursday, April 2, 2015

Trail tool kit for WR250R

After working on my bike this winter I think I've nailed down all the tools I need to be able to access most parts of my bike for minor trailside repairs. I've left the OEM toolkit on the bike for now because (a) then I'll never forget to bring tools, and (b) it contains a spark plug puller. My kit overlaps with the basic kit I bring on remote rides, but improves on the tool selection.


Contents:

  • Nitrile gloves
  • Spare front and rear tubes
  • CO2 inflator and refills
  • Bicycle patch kit. I refilled my Park Tools box with a superior kit from the Dollar Store for $1.25. It's also better than any motorcycle kit I could find online (lots of big, thick patches and a good sized tube of vulcanizing cement). 
  • Bicycle pump with screw-on valve connector on a hose. These are important features to be able to access and inflate valve stems that have flats on the sides. Most bike pumps won't seal around the flats.
  • Air pressure gauge
  • 6" adjustable crescent wrench
  • 14mm/12mm wrench. There are several places where a crescent wrench doesn't fit.
  • 2-part Magic Bond steel epoxy. Hardens in an hour.
  • JB-Weld. Hardens overnight. Sometimes better for radiator repairs or hard-to-reach spots.
  • Duct tape
  • 1/4" socket driver and extension
  • 8mm, 10mm, 14mm sockets. The 8 and 10 do almost everything; the long 14mm removes valve nuts and rim lock nuts easier than a wrench.
  • 6mm, 5mm, 4mm hex wrenches marked with yellow tape so I can find them when they fall on the ground
  • Gerber multitool (pliers, knife)
  • Long Phillips screwdriver. Although I've replaced most Phillips hardware with hex heads, there are a few things (like bar controls) that just need a screwdriver. 
  • Motion Pro tire levers with 22mm and 27mm box-end axle wrenches. These are the bomb, but they are only rated to about 90 Nm. Make sure you install your axle nuts using these wrenches so you know you can remove them later on the trail.
  • Zip ties in assorted lengths
  • Digital multimeter for diagnosing electrical problems (surprisingly handy!). This one cost $30 from Canadian Tire. Smaller/cheaper versions are available online. 
  • Electrical wire, electrical tape, quick connectors, spare fuses.
Now I just need a small bag in which to stow everything.

Edit: In a "duh" moment, I realized I could replace the screwdriver and three hex wrenches with the blue Park Tools set (AWS-9) I carry when mountain biking. The Phillips screwdriver on this tool is just long enough to reach all the screws on the bar controls without having to move the hand guards. I forgot I had this tool because I usually use my Y-wrench in the shop.


7 comments:

  1. Good looking kit I have been looking around for ideas, although I might just use a hand pump with air gauge built in as I have found that the co2 quick fills always leaks out over time compared to just atmosphere. This was my experience with my commuting bikcycle not my wr250r.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not impressed with my pump selection. The air gauge is a weak design. It's hard to find a good, small hand pump with hose attached. A separate air gauge is way more reliable.

      Delete
    2. Also, the compressed air is really nice for starting a tube or quickly seating the tire when you're in hot riding gear with sweat running into your eyes and being attacked by mosquitoes.

      Delete
    3. Great kit. Where is it fitted to the bike and how? Many thanks.

      Delete
    4. It's just stuffed into a zippered bag that goes into my backpack or tailbag. Should probably get a tool roll...

      Delete
  2. Nice write-up and clarifying the vital sizes for a WR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I haven't had to use everything, but I try to maintain my bike only using these tools just to be sure I've got what I need for the trail.

      Delete